In this article, we will look at what and what is not covered in Amex travel insurance, as well as when you should consider purchasing additional insurance. Keep in mind that conditions may apply and registration may be required, so be sure to check the registration in your American Express account.
If you read the AMEX travel insurance policy, it can get confusing pretty quickly. You will often see a link to a “regular operator”. A regular carrier is simply a way of traveling by air, land or water public transport (such as a plane, train, bus, or cruise ship).
What is AMEX travel insurance covered trip?
A covered trip is defined as a return ticket fully booked with your appropriate card. This covers more than one round trip ticket booked together for 1 booking. You must start your journey in the same city you are returning to. In addition, the duration of the trip may not exceed 365 days from the place of departure.
Finally, the travel period may consist of round-trip tickets, one-way tickets or a combination of round-trip tickets and one-way tickets with regular carriers. Anecdotally, paying taxes and fees for a prize ticket and paying with points are “covered trips”. “Covered cause” includes adverse weather, terrorist acts, a jury call, a sudden illness or injury to you or an eligible traveller.
How does AMEX Platinum travel insurance work?
Amex Platinum travel insurance begins with generous cancellation and break coverage. If your trip is canceled or interrupted and you lose money on pre-booked travel expenses, such as hotels or non-refundable tours, you may be reimbursed for this benefit. It covers up to $ 10,000 per trip and $ 20,000 for a 12-month period. Conditions apply.
How can I get AMEX travel insurance coverage?
To get AMEX travel insurance coverage, you must purchase the entire round trip with your Amex platinum card. Your trip also needs to be cancelled or postponed for a good reason – just changing your mind will not affect it. Covers covered include cancellation or interruption due to accidental injury, loss of life, illness, severe weather, military orders, jury duty, terrorist acts, uninhabitable housing, and quarantine imposed by a physician.
Does AMEX platinum travel insurance reimburse for trip delay insurance?
If you’ve ever been stuck in a foreign city overnight due to a flight delay, you know how fast costs can increase. Whether you need to pay for accommodation, food or toiletries, you can get a refund with Amex Platinum insurance.
To be eligible for this insurance payment, your trip must be delayed for at least six hours, and the delay must be due to a good reason. These include adverse weather conditions, terrorist acts, lost or stolen travel documents, as well as a malfunction of a regular carrier’s equipment. With your American Express card, you will receive up to $500 per trip and can make up to two claims over a 12-month period. Conditions apply.
Does AMEX offer travel accident insurance?
Travel accident insurance is an advantage you will never need. In the event of accidental loss of life or dismemberment while traveling, good coverage can easily save thousands. You must pay for the trip with an Amex card. If you have an insured event during your trip, you can receive up to $ 500,000. Conditions apply. Your Amex Platinum travel insurance cover losses resulting from an accident. Self-inflicted injuries, injuries from war or illegal activities, illnesses and certain medical conditions are excluded from coverage. Injuries that occurred while traveling to work or driving are also excluded.
What does AMEX travel insurance cover?
- The American Express basic international insurance policy will cover your unlimited medical expenses, as well as the loss of luggage and personal belongings.
- Essential international travel insurance plan adds coverage for cancellation, delay, accidental death and additional costs due to accidental injury, illness or disease.
- Comprehensive international travel insurance plan adds coverage for hospital cash, stolen cash, accidental loss of life and permanent loss, and loss of income.
- Ultimate international travel insurance plan offers higher maximum levels of coverage for everything covered by a comprehensive policy.
Please note that exceptions may apply, including changes to travel plans, loss of luggage or personal belongings due to negligence, as well as any injuries or losses caused by alcohol and / or drugs. To learn more about what is covered and what is not distributed, see the Product Disclosure Statement on the American Express Web site.
How to file AMEX travel insurance claim
You can claim quickly and easily by logging in to your Amex Platinum account. You need to have any important documents on hand, such as receipts, medical records or airline documentation. If the coverage you are looking for is secondary, you will first have to claim the primary coverage. Go to the card benefits section. From there, you will want to complete the following steps.
- Select the insurance you want to claim and click “Claim”.
- Enter the required information. This will include details of the trip as well as information on the incident covered.
- Add all the necessary documentation. After reviewing your claim, you may be asked to provide additional documents.
- Submit your claim and wait for a response. It takes an average of 45 days to process and process American Express claims.
- You can check the status of your claim at any time through the American Express Claim Center or by calling customer support.
Without a doubt, Amex Platinum travel insurance is a valuable advantage. Many other American Express cards offer the same valuable protection. The best airline cards are also an option for frequent travelers, although they may not provide such extensive insurance.